I am sorry that this needs to be posted. However, at the risk of litigation I need to make some things crystal clear on my blog.
- I am not privy to a certain company in SF who does DTC genetic testing's business model
- I cannot affirm that said company makes a profit by marking up test costs, nor that they do mark up test costs. Said company very well may not do these things.
- I do have access to some other lab models which do mark up test costs
- I am certain that businesses which offer genetic tests make a significant amount of money testing and make very little to nothing from NOT testing.
- To survive as a business you must make money.
In a world where everyone must make some money to survive. I'll take the company who has pledged to do what's right not what makes a profit.
Testing is confusing and you need someone who will protect YOUR interest, not push their new test. I just don't see how any company can protect the patient when it is not in their financial interest. As a physician, protecting the patient should ALWAYS be in my interest.
Everyday when I see my patients, it most undoubtedly is..... Thanks for reading.