- Only 0.6% of the national population has used DTC tests (BTW that's 1.8 milllion people)
- 14% of the US population is aware of DTC testing
- 73% of those who were aware, heard through the media
- Yet over 60% who used the tests were directed by DOCTORS!!!!!!
In addition a survey was administered to physicians. This DocStyles study had 555 physicians who were aware of DTC testing. Of Those
- Only 4% of MDs report >10% of their patients asking for DTC testing
- And an amazing 93% of physicians report <1%>
- 96% of physicians report Journal Articles as the most trusted source for Genetic Testing Information. ONLY 6% report that other health professionals are a trusted source for Clinical Testing! (Does this include CGCs or Geneticists?)
- The majority of info physicians receive on DTC testing is from the media, not Journals.
The Sherpa Says: There are some limitations with the public studies. One thing is for sure.....The media has a powerful lock on distribution of this information. Did you hear that Mr Murdoch? I am truly scared that the physicians do not find other physicians knowledgeable or trustworthy. YIKES!!!!