Thursday, December 31, 2009
Tally Time. It is time again to see whether my predictions for 2009 were right. Or if I was way off the mark.
The Highly Likelies first
1. Francis Collins will become the Director of the NIH........You Betcha I pegged that one.
2. We will see a pharmacogenetics lawsuit......Well, still haven't seen that yet, despite the FDA label changes
Batting 500, next up
1. X Prize winner: PacBio, ok, maybe I was a year early on this one
2. Oprah's gene scan bougus. Guess what? It Was!
Still at 500, who's next
Ok, these are what they say they are. Ridiculous. I don't think I can be held to the same standards for these swing for the fences.....
1. Mark Cuban Buys the rights to the 23andME database. Ok, I was off. DeCode tried to steal it and Google keeps dumping money into it......Both just as crazy as if Cuban would buy it......
Maybe we call that a fly out?
2. Next-Next-Next gen Sequencing will debut......you have heard of nanopore right? Is this Next-Next Gen? Or Next-Next-Next Gen? Hmmm. Foul Ball!
3. The last one is so silly I don't think it was meant to be called...........The US fracturing into territories and fighting against the world.......Not quite yet.
So on to this year's doozies!
1. Another DTC failure......yes. I won't say which one.
2. One of the DTC Genomics companies will get into clinical care. They will set up shops. It may be a newcomer or an old dog. But it will happen.
3. We will have data on PGx testing with Plavix. And it will support the use.
1. Francis and Kari will start the Population Genome Study in the US
2. The XPrize will be won by Complete Genomics.
1. Again, Mark Cuban will Buy Sergey's share of 23andMe's database
2. Myriad will lose the first round of hearings re: their gene patents......
The Sherpa Says: If Kansas went bye bye last year, this year we will have to "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"
Posted by Steve Murphy MD at 6:14 AM